Summer reading books for the Department of English assignments are not sold in the Monsignor Farrell bookstore. When purchasing your summer reading books, please pay attention to the ISBN numbers listed below.
Please also note that there are different assignments for those students who are in our Regents, Honors, and Scholars programs.
English 9 Scholars – Literary Genres
- The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway – ISBN-13: 978-0684801223
- A Separate Peace by John Knowles – ISBN-13: 978-0743253970
As you are reading these classic works of fiction, please take note of the prominent themes, conflicts, and symbols for each work. Please annotate as you are reading, in addition to keeping separate notes. You will be expected to write an essay on these works upon your arrival at school in September.
English 9 Honors – Literary Genres
- The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemmingway – ISBN-13: 9780684801223
- Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom – ISBN-13: 9780767905923
Read and annotate the novels in preparation for an in-class assessment. This assessment will be administered during the first full week of school in September
English 9 Regents – Literary Genres
- Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom – ISBN-13: 9780767905923
- Under the Bridge by Michael Harmon – ISBN-13: 9780375859304
Read and annotate your copies of Tuesdays with Morrie and Under the Bridge. Be prepared for an essay-based assessment upon our return to school.
While you are at the beach, spray on your sunscreen, and dive into a great book!
Have a wonderful summer vacation!
Miss Dawn Guerriero
Chair, Department of English
Director of the Writing Studio